Friday, December 17, 2010

I Know Nothing About Sheep.

Not a thing.  Never been up close to one.  I don't know anyone who raises them.  I don't eat them.  I did have some sort of lamb chops once, at a friend's place.  It was kind of gross, in my humble opinion.  I don't knit, and gave up on crocheting my one and only table cloth about ten years ago.  I have no interest in sheep.

We bought Spot on a whim at an auction.  I knew nothing about goats.  He was just so tiny and cute and helpless.  My heart melted.  I did know a couple of people who raised them though, and were able to help us over the rough spots.  We had just moved to the first farm, and only had chickens and rabbits to manage.  Spot was our first foray into larger stock.

When #1 decided that he wanted to raise goats as his business, I knew we could handle it.  It wasn't a scary proposition.  We had some experience.  We had room.  We had time.  It was no big deal.  He's off to a good start.

We've been watching Victorian Farm on you tube, along with Victorian Farm Christmas now on TVO.  It's a wonderful British historical reenactment series.  And they raise sheep.  #2 is fascinated by the sheep.  #2 seems to think that raising sheep will be a good business for him.  #2 has lost his mind.

Am I allowed to say no?  Is it that easy?  I agreed to #1's goat request without hesitation.  I fronted him the money to buy his stock.  I gave him Nanner, our remnant pet goat.  I trusted him to take care of the extra chores, like fixing fences, chasing goats out of the garden and off the road, and trimming hooves.  He's taken it all in stride.

#2 will be 14 this summer.  The same age.  He's probably a bit more mature than #1 was.  #2's winter homeschooling project will be finding and reading everything he can about raising sheep.  I think what scares me the most is having to sheer them.  If it was optional, it might not be so bad.  And what are we going to do with that wool if we do manage to figure out how to remove it?  They're also much more expensive than goats.  They rarely go through the auction for less than $250.  And they need separate quarters.  I do know something about sheep!  I remember talking about different grain blends at the feed store once, and I had pretty unlimited choices, since I don't have sheep.  Sheep can not eat what the other critters eat.  Scary.

I want to say no.  But I bet we'll have sheep in the spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment