Monday, December 12, 2011

Beef and Turkey Stock

I found this processing times and pressures chart the other day.  Perfect. 

Turkey soup got put on hold, as I need to make a batch of turkey stock first.

I usually use chicken soup base powder or bouillon cubes when I make chicken or turkey soup.  I made a batch of chicken stock once, a few years ago, with the chicken feet.  It did not impress me.  It was very fatty, and not very flavourful.  I froze it, and then tried to figure out what to do with it.  I don't cook much with chicken stock.  I didn't like it in soup.  I think there might still be a jar at the back of the freezer above the fridge.  I should probably throw that out.

I had much better luck with my beef stock.  Did I post that?  Oops.  Doesn't look like it.

I made beef stock from Steaks' neck and leg bones.  I saved another batch of bones to do another batch of stock later.  Mostly following the instructions here, but I read over a few different methods before I started.  I think the big difference between my methods and most other peoples, is the quantity.  The instructions there said 3 hours minimum, 6 to 8 if you can do it.  I had my big stock pot (came with my propane cooker for roasting turkeys, bigger than a 5 gallon pail) over half full of bones, meat and veggies, with water to cover.  At 3 hours nothing seemed to be happening.  At 8 hours, the meat was just starting to fall off the bones.  I ended up letting it simmer for two days before I strained it and started reducing.  Then I froze it in ice cube trays.  2 cubes is plenty to flavor gravy or a big pot of stew.  I like it.

So today I am making turkey stock.  I'm using the big stock pot again, with the entire turkey carcass.  I didn't roast the bones, since I roasted the turkey yesterday.  All of the bones, skin, fat, cartilage, and a generous handful of meat.   Lots of carrots and onions, the last bit of celery ends I had in the freezer, half of a green tomato, sage, rosemary, thyme, a bay leaf, and 5 cloves of garlic.  The smell is already starting to make me hungry. 

Now I'm debating.  Should I pressure can the stock?  (less reducing)  Or freeze it in ice cube trays like the beef stock?  (less storage space)  Of course, I'll have to wait and see how much is left after I make turkey soup tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. The Montana site was the other one I was going to suggest, but all I knew was that it was one of the big, cold, Nothern "M" states.

    Some internet sites say to only use a dial gauge. I did not read this site. However, my county agent said that the dial can be unreliable, but the weighted gauge cannot be incorrect since it is driven by steam.

    ReplyDelete