Thursday, March 22, 2012

Transplanting Tomatoes

The tomatoes I planted from my saved 2011 seed were getting a little too big for their pop bottles.
They're doing pretty good, but they probably could have lost their lids with the heat this week.
They're into yogurt containers now.
And while I was playing in the dirt, I figured I might as well transplant the mixed tomatoes from the seed exchange too.  These probably would have been ok for another week, but since I had everything out already, it was easier to just do it now.
Which leaves me with room on the plant stand for another tray to start.  I think more herbs.  I've picked up a few more seed packets, and I had a few that wouldn't fit in the last batch.  And, despite the weather, it's TOO EARLY to start the veggies!!!  (I'm really trying to convince myself here).

7 comments:

  1. Looks like spring is trying to start up there too!

    You seem to have the same "fun" I do with starting tomatoes indoors, they get stringy and take a lot of effort to harden them off when moving them outdoors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, but it's too early!

      I transplant my tomatoes 4-5 times, burying them deeper and deeper as I go. That takes care of the legginess, as well as giving them excellent root systems. When it's time to go outside, they're in the big, 2.5 gallon pots, and look like the $30 tomatoes you can buy at nurseries. Last year I took them outside too early and lost them to a late freeze. Previously, they never went out until June, and then I'd wrap them in plastic after transplanting. This year they're staying in the house til June, and then transplanting to the greenhouse.

      Delete
  2. Brilliant idea with the soda bottles!! I am going to do this next year!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can taste fresh tomatoes from the garden way down here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, Thanks. Still a long, long wait though.

      Delete
  4. It's hard to sit on your hands when the weather looks so cooperative! You are fortunate to have greenhouses to extend your growinng season.

    ReplyDelete