Friday, February 28, 2014

Incubating

Let the count down begin.
Just eight eggs in the incubator this round.  I put a towel over it to stabilize the temperature somewhat. 

With the nights still so cold, I couldn't get the temperature to stabilize without it.  The towel is helping substantially, however, it's also covering the vents, so I'm not sure what that will do to the humidity level. 

I decided to keep enough eggs for breakfast, and give it a go with the remaining eight.  Not too much to risk.  With a little luck, we could have chicks for the first day of spring.

3 comments:

  1. When I have problems with cold, I put whatever it is in a large cardboard box. That seems just enough to keep whatever it is safe. Of course, I have not tried to hatch eggs. Having chicks the first day of spring would be really nice. I priced pullets today. The prices make me want an incubator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pullets, meaning almost ready to lay? They're $13.80 each here this year, from the hatchery. I know it sounds like a lot, but really, compared to the feed you have to put into chicks, waiting for them to grow up, it's really not a bad price- and you don't have to wait and see if they're hens. Hatching works for me, cause I can eat the little roos.

    ReplyDelete