Wednesday, July 30, 2014

A Little Garden Update

Harvest Tuesday
Purslane, Dill, Long Slim Pepper, Pickling Cucumbers, Radish, Peas
'Cause I never got around to it on Monday.  Not that I'm really into that whole 'Harvest Monday' thing, just that garden chores tend to get put off on the weekends in favour of more manual work while Husband is home.  I harvest throughout the week, but there just tends to be a bit more of a 'glut' on Monday mornings.  Not pictured- another bucket of lettuce, a bunch of mint hung to dry, and my first ever bunch of oregano hung to dry.
Oregano
I made one jar of refrigerator pickles with cucumbers- not enough yet to can, but soon.  I added the purslane leaves to a stir fry for supper, along with a bit of that Long Slim Pepper.  Hot!  Hot, I tell you.  A little bit goes a long way.

Greenhouse #1 Is being taken over by the pumpkin plants.  They're crowding out the Far North Melons.  I gingerly picked up the trailers and rearranged them to go towards the outside.

The neglected, badly weeded outside.  Then I pulled a lot of grass to make things more comfortable for them.

I was pleasantly surprised by the number of tiny pumpkins on the vines already.

Four little pumpkins on this vine alone!  If they make it, these Algonquins will definitely be the way of the future for me.

The Far North Melons are also sprouting tiny babies.  With two months to go, they both stand a decent chance of producing well.

The watermelons are just starting to flower now, nasturdiums haven't flowered yet, and the beans I planted after the frost in June are nearly ready to flower.  There doesn't appear to be much difference between the ones in the greenhouse and the two rows I added outside.

Delphiniums are flowering now,

which keeps the bumbles happy.

In Greenhouse #1 the cabbages are coming along nicely, starting to form heads.

Broccoli and Brussels sprouts are gaining height.  Eggplant is short and the plant is yellowed.  Kohlrabi has lovely leaves, but not much bulk.  Kale is almost ready to eat.  Sugar beets are coming along slowly.

Greenhouse #2 is wild with tomatoes now.  They're crowding the pepper plants.

Both greenhouses' cucumbers are doing well.

The rest of the garden...

Beans, beans, corn, calendula, potatoes and WEEDS!  everywhere!

Fresh manure composting where the first beans were planted.

Peas rocking the fence- some over 5' tall.  Mangels coming along slowly, carrots doing well, radishes getting too big, lettuce doing great, swiss chard slow and pale looking, spinach gone to seed, romaine coming slowly, and sunflowers doing well.  And WEEDS EVERYWHERE!

The weeds seem to be in overdrive this year.  I'm pulling at least two five gallon pails every day, sometimes 5 or 6.  The rain has been generous this month though, and each rainfall sprouts another batch of weeds.  Many buckets have been fed to the chickens, and many buckets are becoming silage for winter feed.  So many more to pull!

Strawberries flowering!  Not too many plants, and they were attacked by a goat before she sold, but maybe, just maybe, I might get to eat one this year!

2 comments:

  1. That is a lot of garden. I am sure the chickens appreciate the weeds you bring them. How do prepare weeds for silage? The pumpkins pulled to the outside could still be covered by making a little teepee against the greenhouse if necessary, it seems. Too bad you did not sell the goat earlier...lol. You get so much done that it makes me tired...lol. I do hope you get to eat more than one of your strawberries this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I could just eat one strawberry this year, I wouldn't hesitate about buying more plants next year. Actually, with the goats gone now, I probably won't hesitate next year anyway, but still, year after year I dream of strawberries and I never get to eat any!

      I'm not doing anything special with the weeds for silage. Some people chop or shred their silage material, I am just bagging the weeds and storing them in the old chicken coop, roots and all. I don't know how they'll turn out, or if the cows will even like them, but I figure for the price of garbage bags it was worth a shot. I'll dole them out this winter and see what happens.

      I have an old screen door that I figure I can lean against the greenhouse and cover with plastic when the frost warnings start. Which, sadly, won't be long now.

      Delete