Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Harvest Monday

Yeah, I know it's Wednesday, but I harvested and took the pic on Monday.  I'm just a little slow getting things posted these days.
My first garden harvest of 2014, although I did pick the rhubarb once already this year.  Actually, the first time I cut all of the larger stems from the rhubarb, puréed it, and made juice concentrate, then divided it for each jug of juice I made.  I had two large jugs in the fridge the whole time.  Then it occurred to me that if I could calculate how much rhubarb I'd need for just one jug of juice, I wouldn't have so much work at once, and more room in the fridge, and less time waiting for it to grow back!  This was my first attempt, and it was just a touch skimpy.  Two or three more stalks would be just about perfect.

The first picking of the peas, other than a couple to munch on here and there.  Tiny radishes, but Husband might as well eat some now before they're all huge and woody at the same time.  Lettuce is about 4" high, but quite thick, so tender and yummy.  Clover for infused water.

Peas should be ready for picking every 3-4 days now.  Tomatoes, peppers, and melons are flowering.  Replacement beans are about 3" tall. (frost).  Cucumbers should start flowering soon.  The rest likely won't make it this year.

1 comment:

  1. That rhubarb looks delicious! I need tender little lettuces for all this chicken I have cooked--salads and sandwiches.

    ReplyDelete